Opening of the « Moria 35 » trial on 20 April on Chios Island (Greece)
Statement from the Trial Observation Delegation
All the versions of this article:
On the 18th of July 2017, 35 residents of Moria hotspot on Lesvos Island in Greece were arrested after a demonstration organised in the camp earlier in the day. Hundreds of the camps inhabitants took part in this protest against their inhumane living conditions.
A few days later, Amnesty International have called on Greek authorities to immediately investigate the allegations of excessive use of force and ill-treatment committed by the police. This police violence has been filmed and disseminated in the media in the days that followed the demonstration.
However today these same individuals stand in the dock.
The « Moria 35 » trial, begins on 20 April on Chios Island in Greece.
Prosecuted for arson, resisting arrest, attempted assault, rioting, damage to private property and disturbing the public peace, they risk up to 10 years in prison, exclusion to the right of asylum and deportation to countries which they fled. 30 of them are in custody since July 2017.
The signatories of this Statement consider it essential that the trial has an international public audience. Our organisations will be attending hearings for the entire duration of the trial in order to ensure international oversight and observe the proceedings in view of the principles of independance and impartiality of courts and the right to a fair trial.
Signatory organisations :
- Avocats Sans Frontières France
- Dutch League for Human Rights
- European Association of Lawyers for Democracy and Human Rights
- European Democratic Lawyers (Avocats Européens Démocrates)
- Fasti (Fédération des associations de solidarité avec tous-te-s les immigré-e-s)
- Gisti (Groupe d’information et de soutien des immigré·e·s)
- Haldane Society
- Internationl Association of Democratic Lawyers
- Progressive Lawyers Association - Turkey
- Swiss Democratic Lawyers / Juristes démocrates de Suisse (DJS – JDS)
On the living conditions in Moria camp and and on the consequences of the EU-Turkey Deal:
See GISTI Mission report « EU-Turkey Statement: The Great Deception », July 2016
Contact : email@example.com