6. Health insurance
All asylum seekers have the right to health insurance, even if you are in the “fast-track” procedure (factsheet 2) or the “Dublin procedure” (factsheet 3). You do not have to prove that you been residing in France for more than 3 months.
You also have the right to free complementary health insurance (universal complementary healthcare coverage or “CMU-C”) if you have a low income (less than 725 euros per month approximately).
Health insurance and the CMU-C complementary insurance allow you to avoid paying, and you do not have to pay any medical fees or medication costs up front. To obtain this, you must go to the health insurance office (CPAM) of your place of residence on the date indicated in the appointment letter that the Spada (factsheet 1) or the Ofii (factsheet 2) will give you. If the Spada does not give you an appointment at the CPAM, ask for it!
At your appointment, you must present:
- The asylum application certificate that the prefecture gave you when your request was registered;
- The proof of residence that your accommodation center or the Spada gave to you.
When you have obtained health insurance and CMU-C complementary insurance, you can go to the doctor or hospital for free. You will need only to present the CMU-C paper certificate. If you do not have a valid certificate, you can apply for the AME (or “Aide médicale d’état”; another type of insurance for those not otherwise covered).
If you need help with these administrative procedures, you can contact:
- the social services department of the hospital;
- the association which is helping you to prepare your asylum request file;
- the center which is housing you.
While waiting to obtain health insurance, you can go to the departments for access to healthcare (permanences d’accès aux soins de santé [PASS]) which are present in some hospitals. A social worker will assess your social situation and help you find a doctor.
You may also contact:
- The Reception and orientation center (Caso) tenus par l’association Médecins du Monde, 8-10 rue des blés 93210 La plaine Saint Denis run by the Médecins du Monde association: 8-10 rue des blés 93210 La plaine Saint Denis on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. and from 2.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m.; on Wednesdays from 2.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m. and on Fridays from 9.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
- or the Reception, orientation and accompaniment center (CAOA), 15 boulevard de Picpus 75012 Paris (métro Bel-Air on line 6).